Thursday, June 25, 2009

Michael Jackson Died

I don't want to get into a big long thing. It just struck me as I was watching coverage of the death of Michael Jackson that I'm old enough to remember the mid 1980s when Michael Jackson was unquestionably the single coolest person on the planet and also the more recent years when he was undeniably the single weirdest person on the planet.

In looking back on his life, I just can't help but feel anything but sad for him. I'm struck that the coverage of his death, along with many of the more recent reports on him, really say nothing about what was clearly a ridiculous amount of psychological, physical, and emotional abuse that was inflicted on him as a child and an adolescent. I'm not trying to excuse him from whatever he may have been accused of, but just look at his behavior even outside of those allegations. He clearly never came to terms with all that abuse, and I'm sure that being the most talented Jackson also meant that he received the most abuse.

In the end, all I really want to say is that I love his music. And now that he's gone and not acting like a...well, there aren't even words, but maybe we can just remember the music.

No comments: