Saturday, August 8, 2009

My New Favorite Rom Com?

In order for something to be a romantic comedy does it have to follow the rom com formula where boy meets girl, there's 90 minutes of silly contrivances, then they get together? If so, then 500 Days of Summer is not a romantic comedy. It does not follow that formula, but it is a movie about the relationship between these two people, Tom and Summer. Ah, what to say. It stars the kid from Angels in the Outfield, and who hasn't seen that at least 2.5 times on HBO, and Zooey Deschanel, who you may remember from Almost Famous or Elf. The only thing about this movie that is somewhat formulaic is this one satellite character who is just a caricature of a person. This one character is the guy who can't hold down a relationship, goes out and gets drunk all the time, says inappropriate things, even when he's not drunk, and doesn't have any feelings whatsoever. If you're reading this post, and you don't know someone like that, then you are that guy, by the way. Anyhow, if we're not counting this as a romantic comedy, then the I'd like to take this moment to remind everyone of my old favorite romantic comedy, Fools Rush In. (Click that link, read that post, and then come back here.)

Incidentally, Zooey Deschanel is also a really good singer, and has an album out with a band called She and Him. She's got a really great voice and she has sung in several movies, including Elf and this current one. This is beside the point, but this song off her album is really good, but the video is really weird.



Back to this movie. I guess all I want to say is that I really really really really really really really liked this movie. I found myself identifying with the main characters even though it doesn't really describe my relationship history in any way. I don't want to really talk about the plot in detail, but just take my word for it. It's a movie about their relationship, it's not formulaic, and it's really good.

No comments: