Thursday, April 10, 2008

Friday Classic Video: God, it would be cool to be a British actor

First of all, I'm watching the Mets-Phillies game at the moment, and Damion Easley just came to the plate with two outs in the 11th in a 3-3 game.

His entrance song? 2 Legit 2 Quit.

And no, he didn't do the hand signals. Color me disappointed.

Anyway, where was I? So the other day, Nerve and IFC came together to produce a list of the 50 Greatest Comedy Sketches of All Time. Faith, who is now my mortal enemy, beat me to this over on her blog, where she did an excellent job explaining things and even included a smattering of awesome clips, so go there and read it.

These guys actually did a damn good job with this list. There are, obviously, a few personal favorites not there (No Bill Brasky? Dumbasses don't know that the whole Chuck Norris thing blatantly plagiarized Bill Brasky, but people who read the Internet are dumb. No offense if you happen to be reading this on the Internet.), but I watched just about all of them, many of which I hadn't seen and occasionally hadn't even heard of. On the whole though, it's a damn good list, so credit where it's deserved. I owe you a drink, Nerve and IFC. But you have to share it, for dissing Bill Brasky ("who hated Mexicans. And he was half-Mexican...And he hated irony!").

Think of a classic sketch, and I'll bet you can find it on there. And you'll laugh your ass off watching all the other ones you had forgotten about. And, as I mentioned before, you may find some that you've never heard of.

One sketch comedy show with which I was, until recently, unfamiliar is called Smack the Pony. It's British and, since I'm American and foreigners are to be feared and ignored if possible, I've obviously never seen any of their stuff. But one day, these awfully funny limeys came up with a sketch called "Saying Goodbye." It came in at No. 37 on the list. [By the way, METS WIN! Jose Reyes was (allegedly) safe at home on a single by Angel Pagan (my all-time favorite guy who's been on the Mets for eight whole games with a name that is delightfully kinda oxymoronic. It's a fairly short list, yes, but he's at the top. Until tomorrow, when he goes 0 for 5 with 3 K's and 2 foul pop-ups.) in the bottom of the 12th!!!! This just happened, that's why it's in brackets.]

You know those awkward situations where you're leaving a party and saying goodbye to the host, and the conversation goes on a bit long and you just want to leave? Add to that some other awkwardness which I won't reveal and you have a really, um, awkward situation. Anyway, just fucking watch already.

(This is a bit raunchy, but in a comedic way, so it's safe for work. Oh, and no swearing, so feel free to have the volume on.)



(Sorry about the "limeys" thing to our extensive British readership.)

3 comments:

Open Bar said...

This has very little to do with what I just wrote, but it also doesn't deserve its own post, so I'll say it here.

Tonight's Baseball Tonight may have been the best (read: worst) episode ever. And it starred, shockingly, Steve Philips, who had some incredibly stupid things to say all night about the Red Sox's Kevin Youkilis. I feel certain that FireJoeMorgan.com will handle things, but at one point late in the show, during Web Gems, Youkilis made a great play, and the host (Steve Berthiaume?) asked Steve Philips, who had ripped on Youkilis earlier, "Did you delegate on the Mo Vaughn deal?"

There were some mumblings from the other guys on the show, but you definitely heard "Ooohhh" from one of them. And a "FUCK YOU ASSHOLE!" from Mets fans watching at the time.

And it was awesome.

Faith said...

Oh man, I've reached mortal enemy status? That can't be good.

But thanks for the shout-out and sorry I stole your thunder.

Open Bar said...

Oh, and how could I forget about Harry Caray?

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/48578/Will-Ferrell-SNL-Space-The-Infinite-Frontier-With-Harry-Caray.html