Thursday, June 14, 2007

God, I hope that's the sun coming

As far as bland first sentences go, "We all get a little depressed sometimes" is pretty damn bland. But ultimately, we all do get down at times, and often due to things others might call "bland." Right now, I'm a bit down, as I'm sure Side Bar is as well, along with the rest of us who bleed orange-and-blue. Chuck probably feels down half the time, and LJT? Well, he'll tell us all about it in the next podcast.

But there are certain things that can always perk me up, no matter what. One of those is a well-known Beatles song, which is sung by George. LJT gave me a lot of shit a few years back after I failed to properly identify George as the singer, but nevertheless, the song still has some ineffable quality that, no matter how bad I feel, it always puts a smile on my face. It's probably my favorite Beatles song, and it's called "Here Comes the Sun."

(Please start this video, but just use it to listen as you read the rest. No need to watch.)



Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
And I say it’s all right.
Little darling it’s been a long cold lonely winter,
Little darling it feels like years since it’s been here.
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
And I say it’s all right.

So the Mets have now lost 9 of 10. And it's not like they've been robbed or deserved to win any of them. They fucking suck right now. And as a die-hard fan, it's tough to watch. It can get, well, depressing. And on top of that, the (hellbound) yankees have won like fifty games in a row. The combination makes me really fucking sick.

Little darling the smiles returning to their faces,
Little darling it seems like it’s years since it’s been here,
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
And I say it’s all right.

Our bullpen, which was the best in baseball last year and was untouchable this year -- prior to this losing streak -- now sucks a giant horse-cock. Our starting pitching, which was questionable entering the season but turned out to be a real strength -- prior to this losing streak -- now sucks a giant walrus-cock. Our lineup, which was the best in the N.L. this year and last -- prior to this losing streak -- now sucks a giant giant-dick. Our defense had recently gone 12 games in a row without an error and was a huge help whenever pitchers got in trouble -- prior to this losing streak -- now sucks a giant... Oh, fuck it. We suck. Everything sucks. Willie Randolph can fall down a fucking well with baby Jessica.

Sun, sun, sun, here it comes.
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes.
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes.
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes.

Oh, God. The Mets. The war in Iraq. These morons running for president. The 2 train took forever this morning and made me late. There's at least one (five) mouse (mice) in my apartment. I'm out of beer. I'm OUT OF BEER.

Little darling I feel that ice is slowly melting,
Little darling it seems like years since it’s been clear,
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
It’s all right, it’s all right.

You know what? Maybe things aren't that bad.

No comments: