Monday, March 26, 2007

Adios


Yo, Alberto Gonzalez is going down. Stick a fork in him. Write it down, take a picture, I don't give a fuck.

These nine federal prosecutors being fired, as handled by Dubya, has got to be one of the worst-managed scandals of all time.

A President can fire any one of the 93 federal prosecutors whenever he or she wants. They serve at the President's "pleasure". I also feel like the President or Executive Branch should be able to place more emphasis on certain - crimes to a point - than others may - like one may be very a bit more or aggressive in prosecuting, say, drugs or illegal immigration or whatever.

So when this story first began, I really didn't pay much attention to it and I don't think I totally even understand it right now. When the story first broke, it was like, "Oh whatever, some people got fired". I figured, well they can do that...but then came the explanations. Had they just said their usual - "fuck you, because we can" this thing may not have had legs.

But then the Bush Administration said they didn't know or do anything about it. OK, maybe Harriet Myers did but Gonzalez didn't, then he knew but wasn't involved, then - oh yea - he was in a meeting for an hour about it. I guess it's depends on what the meaning of "involved" is. Hmmmm.

Oh yea, his Deputy resigned, a staff member is pleeing the fifth....and did I mention Karl Rove may have been involved? Good times.

If you've been alive and remotely awake the last six-plus years, probably can see something smells funny. My shoes are on as I write this, so it's not me.

What evidently happened is that these people were fired (or at least a few of them) because they did or didn't prosecute certain cases or groups of cases that affected close races. Did you prosecute 'Duke' Cunningham or Tom Delay? Did you not go after voter registration fraud claims that you didn't think were credible? Yeah, you're probably not going to make it to the 2007 Justice Department Christmas Party. What's that, the FBI didn't think you should have prosecuted the voter fraud case? Tough shit, kid.

While I am comfortable giving the Administration some leeway in this area, I am definitely not comfortable with them leveraging US attorneys to sway close political races.

Flag on the play - Bush Adminstration - Illegal motion - that'll be one Attorney General and that last bit of credibility you had.

First Down!

2 comments:

ChuckJerry said...

What does the picture of Britney Spears at the top have to do with the rest of the post?

If they can fire any of these prosecutors whenever they feel like it, then I don't think anyone is going down for this. They didn't break any laws, at least not as I understand, if Rumsfeld took 5 years to get out, then Gonzalez ain't going nowhere.

The Notorious LJT said...

she's dressed as a referee