Thursday, March 26, 2009

Automated Coffee Machines, Pete Townsend and God




About a month or so ago, I got a coffee machine from Best Buy. It wasn't any old coffee machine, though. It was a magic coffee machine. It makes the coffee for me before I wake up.

OK, so a lot of people have coffee machines with timers but if you don't you should. It's great, you put the coffee in at night with some water and hit a few buttons and voila - coffee waiting for you when you wake up!

Pretty much from the early 1990s until 2009 I have been a wake up - shower - leave, one right after the other, type of guy. Now, I get up at 7 am (instead of 8) and drink my coffee. It's pretty nice to kind of hang out and wake up as you sip a cup of joe, I must say.

So, you should get a coffee maker that has a timer because you'd be cooler. Side Bar has one and ChuckJerry probably does, too. So, I guess I'm looking at you, Open Bar. I may be a caveman for not having a DVR but if I'm a caveman, you're a fucking gorilla.

So, I'm sitting there drinking my cup of joe and watching Morning Joe (Scarborough) on CNBC and as they go to commercial they play this song that I knew and kind of liked but never payed attention to.

I always heard the words as something like: Diana rah arah door (oooh) but never knew who it was.

I also never even gave it a second thought but this morning I liked it and googlee the words a few times and Pete Townsend kept showing up which I thought was weird because its a very mid 1980s sounding song, I think and I don't think of Pete Townsend as a contemporary of Cindy Lauper, Robert Palmer and Rick Astley.

But it turns out, it's him - and it's just him, solo and released in 1980. The song is "Let My Love Open the Door" and it's a great little song. Very catchy and nice and I can't believe that it's a Pete Townsend song because it doesn't sound anything like The Who, I didn't know Pete Townsend did much solo shit and I especially didn't know he sang.

Here's the song, enjoy:




So, anyway, it's been in my head all day and when I got home I googled the lyrics.

Some random person made the comment that it's about God, which seemed a bit strange but I think they are right. I think maybe it is about God but it's seems to be from God's perspective and kind of a bit tongue in cheek.

Not tongue in cheek as in mocking way, just in that some of the lyrics seem a little bit boastful and un-Godlike things to say (like the last verse - you're so lucky I'm around), which makes it nicer, in a way because it has a sense of humor instead of being preachy.

When people keep repeating
That you'll never fall in love
When everybody keeps retreating
But you can't seem to get enough
Let my love open the door
Let my love open the door
Let my love open the door
To your heart
When everything feels all over
When everybody seems unkind
I'll give you a four-leaf clover
Take all the worry out of your mind
Let my love open the door
Let my love open the door
Let my love open the door
To your heart I have the only key to your heart
I can stop you falling apart
Try today, you'll find this way
Come on and give me a chance to say
Let my love open the door
It's all I'm living for
Release yourself from misery
Only one thing's gonna set you free
That's my love
Let my love open the door
Let my love open the door
Let my love open the door
To your heart
When tragedy befalls you
Don't let them bring you down
Love can cure your problem
You're so lucky I'm around
Let my love open the door
Let my love open the door
Let my love open the door
To your heart


So yeah. Nice little song by a guy I didn't expect to sing it about something I didn't think it was about.

Coffee. Townsend. God.

What more could you ask for?


Pearl Jam? OK....



Steve Carell and Dane Cook? OK, but this is the last one.

3 comments:

ChuckJerry said...

Isn't that the song from the end of Naked Gun?

Anonymous said...

Check out the remix of it. It's really good. Lisa has all of the Pete solo stuff. I'll burn it for you.

Side Bar said...

Pearl Jam is so fucking amazing.