Thursday, March 19, 2009

Really? The First Thing, Captain Kirk?

Ok listen, I am a nerd. I will happily admit that I am a fan of Star Trek and I enjoy watching the various series and movies. I love the original. I love the Next Generation. I like Voyager. I've seen most of the movies, and I do not begrudge anyone who is a bigger fan than I am. If you want to dress up like a Vulcan and go to conventions, that's cool. If you want to learn to speak fluent Klingon, fucking go for it. If you want to build a replica of Captain Kirk's original captain's chair based on things like the "Starfleet Technical Manual" and the "USS Enterprise Bridge Blueprints", like the people in this article, and then put that chair in your living room, then build away, friend.

But then there's this:
"Mr. Veazie, a manager at Underwriters Laboratories, built the chair himself last year, and has been gratified to find, since installing it in the living room in May, that 'when someone comes in, it’s the first thing they comment on.'"
No fucking shit, dude. So you're saying that no one comments on your fucking normal couch in the living room? No one comments on your tiny bookshelf with your super sweet DVD collection sorted in color order and pictures of your family? The first thing the eye is drawn to in your living room is the elevated replica of the captain's chair with the buttons and everything? I'll bet that's gratifying.

4 comments:

Open Bar said...

Not only is the chair elevated, it also appears to be in a spotlight.

Obviously there's no audio available, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a tiny speaker behind the chair screaming, "LOOK OVER HERE AT THIS SWEET CHAIR!"

But yeah, it's pretty indiscreet.

Anonymous said...

How come no one comments on his impeccably neat VHS collection displayed in the bookcase? Or the Eiffel Tower figurine?

Word verification = fatedg

ChuckJerry said...

AG, this guy is a nerd and it's 2009. That must be a DVD collection (sorted in color order), don't you think?

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that he went to great lengths to build the original chair only to wear the stylized uniform from the first movie, rather than the original t-shirt uniform? No? Only me?

ChuckJerry said...

Also the chair is right next to a glass door next to the back yard, which I cropped out of the picture. So, it appears to be a spotlight, but it isn't.