Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Second Greatest Line In Television History

Hyberbole? Sure, but it's pretty damn close.

In last night's episode of How I Met Your Mother, which I had been telling people about for years before Side Bar decided to watch it starting in season three and then claim that he always loved it, was one of the best lines in history.

When discussing Ted's ex-girlfriend:
Lily: "She was such a douche."
Marshall: "Yeah, she was like the heiress to the Massengill fortune."

I will be using that line in general conversation for the forseeable future.

Incidentally, if you're wondering what the first greatest line in television history is, it also comes from How I Met Your Mother. Incidentally, I blogged about that one, too. It was in the first season, circa the February 6, 2006 episode.

When Ted says he's going to wait a month to have sex with his girlfriend:
Barney: "The only reason to wait a month for sex is if the girl is 17 years, 11 months old."

PS - How I Met Your Mother is a great show, but if we don't actually meet the mother some time soon, I'm going to be disappointed. They've essentially abandoned the premise of the show.

PPS - I love that Bob Saget is the narrator.

PPPS - In this era of protracted theme songs so that there can be a minute more of actual TV show, How I Met Your Mother has a surprisingly good opening montage. It really captures the spirit of the show in like 8 seconds. And the tune is pretty catchy.

5 comments:

Side Bar said...

If you don't watch this show, you don't realize what a great post this was. So watch the show.

JRC - back me up here.

One criticism - your best and second best lines ever are in fact the second best and third best ever, respectively.

Numero uno is as follows:

Marshall: You should definitely go. Look, it's a chance to show her you are still friends and that you support her.

Barney: Or it's a chance to mess with her head by showing up with someone hotter, or even better, triple threat, hotter and bigger boobs!

Ted: That's only two.

Barney: Count again.

Open Bar said...

I've never heard of this "show." Strange. So how did he meet my mother?

(floodgates now open)

ChuckJerry said...

What pretentious cock starts two consecutive sentences with the word "incidentally"? Apparently I do.

Anonymous said...

This is a fabulous show, and I'm glad to see that ChuckJerry has been in the know since the beginning. I successfully badgered Side Bar for two years until he started watching. Neil Patrick Harris is hysterical.

Now if I can just get you all watching Friday Night Lights....

Side Bar said...

I have never seen Friday Night Lights, but somehow I just know that it sucks. Sorry - you got me on HIMYM, but it ends there.

Incidentally, 24 is amazing this season. I know you've all moved on and that's fine. But just deal with the fact that this season has been incredible.